Saturday, January 4, 2014

visiting Temple.

Since my friend Jen and her family have visited us three times since we moved to Texas, it was about time for us to head up to Temple. (Our kids adore each other, especially Carson and Kate, and it's sort of a nice cousin-substitute while we live far from any family.) Jen and I signed up for a half marathon in Temple, so the kids and I took a little road trip for the race. (With a quick stop at IKEA on the way. Yes!) Jen stuck with her training plan and did really well. I barely fit in my Saturday long runs and the best I could do during the week was a mile or two on the treadmill at the gym. I blame that surgeon husband who leaves at 5 a.m. and gets home well after dark for my not getting out to run more! But I ran hard anyway, despite the uncharacteristic cold wind, and had a good race.
So now I am dying to actually train hard for a race! Anyone want to babysit my kids at 6 a.m. four mornings a week??
Everett and Jane playing war. I think she was more into painting nails than playing cards, but he tried. Faye was the lucky recipient of Jane's nail painting and still talks about it!
Scott was very patient with Faye and did a great service to watch all the kids while Jen and I ran! He only had to watch six kids, not all seven, because I actually left Isla at home. I left her with the next-door neighbor, whom Isla totally adores and prefers over me. When Rick got home from work he took over Isla-duty, and it was actually nice that he could spend some time with her on Saturday since he doesn't get to see her during the week. Oh, and Rick spent all day Saturday and late into the night sanding and priming all the lower kitchen cabinets so I could FINALLY finish painting those bad boys!
We went to this awesome Christmas party at the a community center in Temple. Oh, how I miss small towns! Not too crowded, lots of friendly people, great activities for the kids. This Santa was awfully fake, but at least we got a picture this year.
Faye is having an intense conversation with him here. She kept saying she really wanted "that glow toy." Santa told her he knew exactly what she was talking about. I'm glad she forgot about it by the time Christmas rolled around!

No comments: