Tuesday, November 11, 2008

book review #2

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer and Annie Barrows.

I love, love, LOVE this book. It's written entirely in letters, and it takes place just after World War II has ended. It's hard to articulate a brief summary of the plot, but I'll try... Juliet, a single writer living in London, receives a letter from a stranger, a man who lives in the British island of Guernsey. He inquires about a book with her name written in it, and they develop a friendship through writing letters. Juliet learns that her new friend belongs to a Literary Society created as a cover-up during the German Occupation in Guernsey. Eventually, all the members of the Society write to Juliet, describing their experiences during the war. These charming people, the residents of Guernsey, fall in love with Juliet and she with them. I, too, still smile and laugh a little when I think of their delightful letters!! Juliet ends up meeting her friends in person, and then the traditional love story takes place, which made me very happy! I also appreciated a new view of some of the heart-wrenching suffering that took place during World War II. Residents of Guernsey were forced to send their children away, and then to live without food, soap, etc., and in constant fear of their German oppressors.

This book is just the perfect blend of a little bit of romance, some well-researched history, lots of references to literature and the arts, and a group of characters that seem like some of the most delightful people who've ever lived! I would absolutely recommend getting to know Juliet, Dawsey, Amelia, Isola, and the rest of the crew!!

4 comments:

JenSwen said...

Thanks, Page! I added it to my list of books I want to read.

Britni said...

I'm going to have to write this one down, it sounds great.

Leland said...

Hi, I came across your blog and wanted to see how things are going. I'm glad you got you health back, I'm sure that was quite the scare. Looking at the pictures, you guys just seem like such an idyllic family...just two really good people starting out their family and the rest of their lives together. Tell Rick I said hi.

-Leland

P.S. I really enjoyed Midwives too.

Davis and Laura said...

Yay! I love a good book recomendation...I read like a maniac and run out of books. I'll have to check it out!