Monday, December 10, 2012

my big five-year-old.

Carson turned FIVE last month! We sort of celebrated his birthday for a couple of weeks straight: we had a little party back when Ryker and the aunts were here, then there was his actual birth day, and then we went to a Christmas party at the hospital for Carson's final celebration.

Carson's birthday fell during the Thanksgiving break from school, so he was home with us all day. We went to the YMCA in the morning (and a birthday song played when I swiped his card!) and made our candy Thanksgiving turkeys that afternoon. His choice for dinner was tortellini, the same meal I always had for my birthday dinner as a kid! Birthday magic must have been working, because Rick got home early enough to have dinner with us and play a baseball game afterwards. (We got Carson bases for a gift!)



Carson is the kind of kid you just really want to spend lots of time with. He often wakes up a little early, and he and I sometimes lay in bed having some interesting conversations. For example, yesterday morning we were discussing homonyms like to, too and two. This really is fascinating to him. You can start talking about any subject like that, and he is all ears and soaks it up like a sponge.
Carson is an amazing older brother. He takes care of Isla so well and begs for her to be allowed to lay in bed with him when he goes to sleep. I can even tell him he's in charge of watching her while I take a shower! He and Everett play so well together, and he is amazing at the clean-up, especially when he is earning a "point" for each item he picks up! Carson tries hard to be patient with Faye, and sometimes she lets him read her books before her nap.
Whenever I haven't heard from Carson for a while, I know he's laying on the floor somewhere with a good book. Nate the Great, A to Z Mysteries, and the Boxcar Children are the current favorites.
Carson does have a "sneaky" side. He loves to play tricks on people and often sneaks away with my phone or his dad's iPad. I had just said, "where is Carson?" at the grocery store today when he jumped out from behind a display to scare me. One time his sneakiness got him into a bit of trouble when my phone ended up in his backpack at school!
Carson loves sports. He was cheering pretty wildly while watching the Packer highlights this morning. He is so fun to play baseball with in the backyard. He can always tell you where the force-outs are, etc.
I am continually amazed with how well Carson is doing with piano lessons. I remember getting so frustrated with piano as a kid, but Carson patiently keeps practicing and asks for help when he needs it.
It is pretty entertaining to quiz Carson and find out what funny things he has memorized. He can tell you what street most of the kids in his class live on, for example.
Carson had his five-year checkup today and is in about the 25th percentile, just like he usually was as a baby. I really don't know what I would do without my Carson. We love him so much!

2 comments:

Rachel K said...

Oh that Carson. He's kind of a genius. :-)

mackenzie said...

whoa! he looks OLD.