Friday, July 29, 2011

OBX Heaven, 2011: Carson's Story.

So I have a million photos to share from our Dickson family beach vacation, but this series is my very favorite.

The first day we went to play on the beach, my sweet boys lasted about 10 minutes. They wouldn't get anywhere near the water, and their intense fear of the waves made it so they couldn't even relax and play in the sand. Day two was worse! Even when I held Everett, if I would walk towards the waves he would very seriously order me to, "BACK UP, MOMMY. BACK UP." Day three I dutifully walked my timid twosome down to the shore, wondering if I should have even attempted this vacation without a husband. After a few minutes Carson alerted me of an urgent potty need, and I told him to run up and wash his hands off in the water before we headed back to the house. Without thinking about it, HE RAN RIGHT UP AND TOUCHED THE WATER. You can imagine his surprise when he realized what he'd done, and his real shock when he realized a wave hadn't grabbed him and swallowed him up. The whole way up to the house and back to the beach, we were skipping and running and making random exclamations like, "You're so brave!" "I touched the water!" "You love the ocean!" "Wait til I show Faye!" So after proudly displaying to Faye (who watched the whole thing with piqued interest) how he could run into an inch of water without flinching, there was no stopping him. Pappy and Gardener and Reagan and whoever else was willing to hold hands with Carson would help him go a little deeper and get a little braver, and by the end of the day he was running around like an ocean-loving crazy boy. Carson might have a lot of fears, but once he decides to be brave about something there is just no stopping him! I love how these photos show his confidence in the water.

1 comment:

Emma and Dan said...

I'm so glad he loved the beach! You guys were close to here. Next summer we'll have our own place and you'll have to come stay with us. :)

Elena also gave her first talk last week about temples. It was so great to prepare it with her and she did a wonderful job. I'm glad that you guys had a similarly awesome experience.