Friday, April 4, 2008

Death of a Cell Phone

My cell phone was pronounced missing on Saturday, March 29th at approximately 11:00 p.m. It was last seen at the Clark Planetarium in Salt Lake 3.5 hours previous to the discovery of its disappearance. After 6 days of intense searching of the Otto car, apartment, and even the Clark Planetarium itself, the phone has now been pronounced dead.

The cell phone began its life in a T-mobile store in Ashburn, Virginia in December of 2006, after its predecessor randomly stopped working. It was only 10 dollars, which made me very happy. It has served me well these past 16 months, and I am struggling to accept the loss.

What's even WORSE is the loss of ALL the phone numbers in there, the loss of my OWN phone number, and the loss of several text messages that have great sentimental value, including the very first text exchange that took place between Rick and me. The first text from Rick to me was, "Thanks for the huevos rancheros," dated July 4, 2006, referencing the eggy breakfast casserole I had made to accompany our first "date," where we did a Physics 106 practice test together over a romantic breakfast.

So, if you want to call me, or if you want me to have your phone number, email me or leave a comment here. I can email you back with my home phone number but won't post it here, due to all the scary blog stalkers who are just waiting for a bit of juicy information like a phone number that would get them one step closer to stealing my identity. I may not get a replacement phone until we return from Cambodia in August, so life without my cell phone has officially begun...

3 comments:

reggstyl said...

I think you and Rick should keep track of how many cell phones you guys go through :) So far, since you've known each other, is the total standing at three?

JAMIE said...

I love this post, but feel horrible for you at the same time. WE don't realize how much we depend on our phones until they are gone. I have been through so many cell phones. Haven't lost one yet, but broken many many phones. That is why I don't get the "proclaimed dead." Did you find it and it doesn't work? Cause if you lost it, it would be "missing" right?

Do you have anyone's numbers? It really stinks, I know. I didn't even have my own family numbers when my phone broke. I have learned to keep a file stored for cases just like this...

Jewels said...

We too have just lost Ben's cell phone to a terrible death. It is a sad, sad day. The culprit: Too much Abi slobber. :(