Tuesday, April 1, 2008

SLC Site-Seeing Part II

We are becoming experts in Salt Lake City site-seeing. Our visit last weekend with Rick's lifelong friend, John, was our second SLC trip in the past month. Despite it being a bit chilly and extremely windy (see family picture above... I have not gained 50 pounds nor gotten a crazy hair d0; it's the wind, I promise), we had a wonderful time. I did feel deep sympathy for all the brides walking around the temple to take pictures. There was no taming hair nor dresses with all that wind.

We used the Connect Pass again for admission to Thanksgiving Point, the Clark Planetarium, an IMAX movie (the Human Body! Yeah!), and lunch at the Lion House. This time, we threw in the official tour of Temple Square. I could have spent the entire afternoon in the Visitors' Center there with all the interesting exhibits on the scriptures, interactive videos, beautiful paintings of Christ's life, etc.

We also spent more time in the dinosaur museum and were especially impressed with the Supersaurus, a genus of diplodocid sauropod dinosaur discovered in the Upper Jurassic Morrison Formation of Colorado in 1972. (I'll let you decide if I just learned a lot at the museum or used Wikipedia for that one.) The Supersaurus is H-U-G-E. I couldn't believe it. In the first pic, I am standing by his leg, and I don't even come up to his knee. In the second, I am the tiny figure by his hind side.















John and Rick pondered whether or not they could have beaten up the Supersaurus. They decided in the affirmative, which boosted their manly morale.


In Salt Lake, we also attended mass at the Cathedral of the Madeleine, which was beautiful. John, a potential Catholic priest, showed us the ropes of the mass, and we appreciated learning about their methods of worship. Since the visit, Carson has been doing a lot of soul-searching.


We loved having John come visit! Come again!

No comments: